Saturday, November 11, 2006

See these films ASAP!

"THE LIVES OF OTHERS"



AND

"PAN'S LABYRINTH"



I saw both "The Lives of Others" and "Pan's Labyrinth" at AFI Fest. They're both their respective country's (Germany and Mexico) contender for the Best foreign film Oscar.

If they don't get nominated, I'll eat my shoes (and socks).

They're both brilliant, and are better than any other film I've seen this year--foreign or otherwise. Both are terrifying and tremendously emotional, and manage to situate horrific, unimaginable stories within very real scenarios (one is about the East German Stasi, and the other is a fantasy that takes place while fascism was thriving in Spain).

I don't want to say much more, except that I can't urge you enough to see these films. They're important--and not just for the world of film. Both of these film challenge your notions of what is a "political" film.

They both open in the U.S. in December. Look for the producers/director of one of these films to be on the stage at the Academy Awards (though I still haven't seen "Volver," and Pedro Almodovar is always pretty brilliant).

Anyway. I'm rambling. I just haven't been this excited about new films in a while. If anyone wants to see either of these movies, I'll gladly see them again...