Wednesday, September 20, 2006

That man could make light dance!

"The Silence," "The Sacrifice," "Cries and Whispers," "The Unbearable Lightness of Being," "Crimes and Misdemeanors," "Winter Light," "Celebrity," "Fanny and Alexander," "The Tenant," "Autumn Sonata"...know what these films have in common?

They were all shot by SVEN NYKVIST, whose name is synonymous with the work of Ingmar Bergman, but he worked widely with many other fine directors. If you like moving pictures, it's hard not to admire the gorgeous cinematography of Nykvist. His camera offered a view into the souls of the characters he filmed--and never, ever seemed to pass judgement.

And Sven Nykvist has passed away.

He was an amazing cinematographer--one of the reasons I love movies. I saw "Persona" with my mother when I was around ten--I think it was playing on PBS--and I didn't understand what was happening, but I couldn't stop staring at the images. They were so precise, intense. I felt like I was being hypnotized. It was a rush. I still look for that same charge when I go to the movies.

Very sad. I think "Fanny and Alexander" is the film I'll re-watch this weekend...but there's such a massive list of great films he shot, it's tough to choose. Maybe I'll watch a couple. Hmmm...